Telephone: (847) 877-3825
- API design
Designed and refactored many application interfaces for use as libraries or over
- Project Direction
Proven ability to lead and manage a wide variety of design and development projects
in team and independent situations.
- Full-stack Ruby on Rails
Experienced with building up from design to deploy as well as diving into long-established
- Knowledgeable Ruby and Ruby on Rails developer.
- Strong experience crafting efficient and performant SQL queries.
- Familiarity with building applications using Clojure and Java.
- Extensive SQL experience building upon MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Redis.
- Familiarity working with ElasticSearch, MongoDB, CouchDB, Vertica, Riak, and Hadoop.
- Built out CI pipelines using a variety of automated build and test systems.
- Created local development environments using Vagrant.
- Prepared production and staging systems using EC2, Heroku, and self-managed hosting environments.
Senior Software Developer
March 2017 - February 2018 Optimized heavyweight queries
and improved accuracy of calculations using Postgres advanced query and diagnostic
tools. Improved security of email and integrations by using JSON Web Tokens
and Web API for communications. Introduced team communication practices such
as daily stand and acceptance criteria on feature and support request cards.
- Built API for safe bi-directional communication between host and client
apps embedded within IFRAMES using Web API.
- Identified and optimized bottle-neck queries causing poor user experience decreasing response time, reducing load, and increasing the correctness of calculations.
- Implemented API for verifying responses from users were
not tampered with and only processed once using JSON Web Token protocol.
- Presented learning sessions on how to use Postgres analysis tools and a
session introducing Clojure.
Software Developer, remote
March 2015 - November 2016 Collaborated with a distributed
team to build and support Ruby apps and Rails-based APIs. Introduced
improvements to the development workflow, improved the development
toolchain and fixed performance and security issues. Implemented critical
conversion of payment gateway while reducing complexity. Improved
visibility and communication between product and customer support groups,
introduced project management tools and agile concepts to the management
- Implemented Ruby on Rails API that wrapped the legacy lead generation product providing new functionality to support a React-based thin client.
- Implemented several React components that consumed the API service.
- Implemented API Gateway service using Ruby on Rails providing external partners access to ReachLocal internal services.
- Introduced improvements to the Vagrant development toolchain as well code analysis and linting tools like RuboCop, Bundler Audit, Code Climate, etc.
- Migrated payment gateway and credit card processing from Stripe that required complex internal management of subscriptions to Chargify. Identified required functionality could be handled via third-party reducing complexity and overhead.
- Coordinated with the customer support and product management teams to improve awareness and communication of needs and priorities between customer issues and new feature initiatives.
March 2014 - September 2016 Built social media analytics system
to aggregate and generate insights for professionals looking for concrete advice
on how to improve their social media presence. Led development of the marketing
and customer user interface.
- Designed and built Twitter query and aggregator tools using Java and Ruby.
- Built advanced pipeline using Sidekiq Enterprise to generate insights into
customer social patterns.
- Developed administrative and reporting interfaces used by client representatives
to create bespoke reports and social media advice.
- Built out backend databases using PostgreSQL and leveraged JSONB data type
to enable efficient storage, queries, and simplify creating ActiveRecord
queries against raw JSON data.
- Built out infrastructure using Digital Ocean, Heroku, and Amazon RDS. Implemented
fail2ban and iptable rules to lock down servers.
- Coordinated with a consulting firm to design and build out the marketing
and customer user interface. Led design and development of the product
while building out the underlying supporting data and models for the
- Configured Heroku Pipeline to simplify testing and verification before
deployment of the customer interface into production.
Core Team Lead, remote
January 2014 - December 2014Re-launched Coderwall as an open-source
project and led the community development efforts.
- Scrubbed codebase in preparation for releasing Coderwall as an open-source
- Extracted proprietary algorithms and updated Coderwall to use the new service.
Updated development environment to use a fake version of the service
during development and testing.
- Created extensive documentation and support materials including video tutorials
to enable outside contributors to participate in the project without
- Collaborated with and mentored contributors coming from all different development
skills and experiences.
- Replaced the MongoDB backend and consolidated onto Postgres to greatly
simplify queries, reduce costs, and simplify development.
Improved ElasticSearch queries and upgraded to latest version of service.
- Handled customer support issues for Coderwall.
- Converted asynchronous jobs to use Sidekiq instead of Resque to save on
Heroku dyno costs.
Software Developer, Chicago, IL
October 2013 - February 2014Collaborated with a distributed
team on an SOA architecture web application that helps small to medium business
improve their search engine and local presence.
- Integrated Chargify payment system as backend for payments and as lightweight
CMS for plan details using Ruby on Rails.
- Implemented networked Vagrant environments to replicate the multi-system
production environment thus greatly simplifying the development process.
Senior Engineer, Chicago, IL
April 2013 - October 2013Led development team working and
principal development of support and new business initiatives.
- Simplified the development environment and reduced unsafe practices in
shared development environment. Built testing and development environments
to enable continuous integration.
- Implemented tracking and marketing tool to enable a new revenue stream
for the company.
- Mentored and lead junior development team and helped train members on Ruby
on Rails and testing practices.
- Streamlined and stabilized the AWS deployment process and built out new
server images for easier scaling during high demand periods.
Engineering Learning & Development Business Partner, Chicago, IL
July 2011 - April 2013Worked with projects from fraud analysis
in Clojure to building internal tools with Rails to creating a centralized
taxonomy management service in Java. Transitioned to leading efforts to rebuild
and improve the onboarding and engineering retention process.
- Implemented Taxonomy service using ActiveWeb and ActiveJDBC Java frameworks
and MySQL. Built out the servers to host services.
- Designed queries for identifying account fraud patterns using Vertica queries.
Spiked on Hadoop and Clojure fraud detection tools.
- Developed sales support tools to assist call center representatives when
dealing with customers using Ruby on Rails and MySQL.
- Built merchant analysis tools in Ruby and CouchDB to generate reports used
by sales team for identifying markets and deals that are potentially
- Coordinated and implemented new onboarding process and facilitated in-house
training across multiple sites. Worked with TalentDev teams across
the organization to identify managerial training needs and design training
Software Engineer - Greater Chicago Area
August, 2009 - July 2011 Consultant dispatched to clients
to work independently and in team environments. Worked on projects building
B2B services for Sears, internal report generation systems for marketing agencies,
and with Groupon before the acquisition.
- Leapfrog Online: developed reporting services to generate bespoke reports
against their data warehouse.
- Sears Commercial: building a new commercial sales and catalog service for
- Groupon: worked on deals services, primary site support, and fraud analysis
- Prior experience upon request
Microsoft Platform developer - Greater Chicago Area
December, 1999 - August, 2009 Experience spanning a decade
building web applications on the Microsoft Platform.
- WHOIS Tech Community / UGtastic
October 2011 - January 2017 Interviewed over 100 tech
community leaders from user-group and small conference organizers to leaders
of massive F/OSS projects such as Rich Hickey (Clojure) and DHH (Ruby on
Rails). Conducted interviews and produced videos and coordinated with community
- Founded a Cloud Developer user-group
- Founded Software Craftsmanship McHenry County user-group
- Co-organized Chicago Code Camp for 2010-2012
- Presented on Aspect-oriented Programming at Chicago Code Camp and Iowa
Code Camp on AOP
- Presented on how to get started in leading a user-group at Table XI
Table Talk session
- Presented at several Geekfests on various topics
- Mentored two people into careers in software development
- Collaborated with GOTO Conference organizers to host events with Chicago
Mike Hall — email — (847) 877-3825